Outlook data files are an essential part of Outlook application, which are used for storing Outlook elements including email messages. It is of two types Outlook PST and OST file. PST file also known as personal storage folder, is used to keep backup copy of Outlook attributes on computer hard drive. And an Outlook OST file (i.e. offline storage table) offers Outlook users to work even in offline mode, which sync with exchange server whenever it is connected to internet.
However, corruption of Outlook data file is very common due to several reasons. Sometimes, it may get damaged, if the data saved on PST file exceeds the maximum storage limit. In such case, you need to run Scanpst.exe to repair Outlook data file. If you don’t know how to run Scanpst.exe then you can learn it here.
Essential Steps to know how to run Scanpst.exe:
- Click on Windows start button and search for Scanpst.exe by typing on text box.
- Open Scanpst.exe, and click on browse option to locate the location of damaged PST file. If you are facing difficulty to find the required PST file, and want to know the location of scanpst.exe refer this page.
- Select the PST file and click on start option for scanning process.
- After completion of scanning process, you will get a new Window with issues found while scanning.
- Now, you can fix corrupted PST file by clicking on repair option provided on the Window.
If you are still unable to fix damaged PST file using inbuilt Scanpst.exe utility then try Scanpst Fix software. This tool is preferred by most of the professional Outlook users to repair damaged PST file. Scanpst Fix is built with advanced and simple scanning process, so that users can easily get to know how to scan PST file after it gets damaged due to virus infection, oversized PST file, hard drive crash and so on. You can perform this tool on several versions of Windows computer such as Windows Vista, XP, 7, 8, Windows 2003 and 2008 server operating system.
Reasons behind corruption of Outlook data file:
- An Outlook PST file saved on bad sector may lead to inaccessible or corrupted PST file, because bad sectors are inaccessible memory space on computer drive.
- If the Outlook PST file is shared on network for multiple users and if someone, who can access the PST file tries to modify it, then there is a chance of corruption.
- Sometimes, due to virus infection, PST file may get damaged or become inaccessible.
- Hard disk corruption can also cause the PST file, as a result PST file may get damaged.
Key features of Scanpst Fix utility:
- This utility is virus free and safe to repair Outlook data file after corruption.
- It is capable of repairing PST file created on various versions of Outlook program such as Outlook 2000, 2007, 2013 and other.
- Utilizing this tool, you will be able to repair oversized Outlook data file.
- Ability to fix those Outlook data files which can’t be repaired using inbuilt Scanpst.exe tool.
- Along with repairing Outlook PST file, it can also recover deleted email messages from Outlook inbox folder.
- Highly compressed or password protected PST file can be easily repaired using Scanpst Fix software.